Re: After upgrade to squeeze OS will not accept passphrase to unlock disk

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 15:25:50 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:

> Since writing the last paragraph of my post earlier today:
>
>> Not only that, but also I after closing the computer and rebooting I
>> was unable to install *any* operating system, whether finnix from the
>> CD or Squeeze from the hard drive. I am now consequently forced to do
>> completely new Squeeze installation.
>
> I discovered that I could indeed boot finnix from the CD and Squeeze
> from the hard drive.  Nevertheless, because of the idiosyncrasies of
> finnix it will not help me recover the Squeeze root password.
>
> Last month there was a thread about replacing a forgotten root password,
> but frankly is seems to me to be easier to start the installation all
> over again.

I don't know what finnix is, but if it allows you to mount and access the
Debian filesystem, then here is one way:

Boot into finnix.
Become finnix's root.
Mount the Debian partition containing /etc.
Edit Debian's /etc/inittab.
Look for the line under # What to do in single-user mode.
Change it from ~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin to ~~:S:wait:/bin/bash
Now boot Debian into single user mode and you will not be asked for a
password. You can now run passwd.