Re: Wiping hard drives

For SSDs or harddisk which do encryption internally - with or without
encryption password in BIOS - an ATA Secure Erase should be enough:

http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

Search "site:kernel.org secure erase" on Google and use webcache as long
as kernel.org is down.

I wiped a Windows 7 installation very quickly from the Intel SSD 320 in my
new ThinkPad T520. Had to plug in the SSD externally tough, as the BIOS
froze security settings and disabled secure erase for the internel drive.

An ATA Secure Erase does not need much write accesses, which is great for
SSDs: The drive just forgets the key and then is not able to encrypt the
old data anymore.

Excellent info. Can't believe this is in use since 2001 and this is the first time I am hearing about it. Thank you very much for sharing.

USA's NIST considers it to be on par with degaussing.

My HDD even supports enhanced erase, my laptop BIOS locks the drive I need to figure out how to unlock it.

Security:
        supported
    not    enabled
    not    locked