Re: Wiping hard drives

On Sep 13, 2011 10:05 AM, "yudi v" <yudi.tux@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just want to hear some opinions as to what precautions you take before parting with hard drives. I would be very interested to hear from SSD owners.

So, this is sort of an interesting question I haven't had to deal with yet (and I haven't really seen answered). With old, spinning hard 'disc' drives, I felt secure with my data by drilling a hole through the platters. However, with ssd I don't really have the same option to make the data pretty much inaccessible.

Obviously I could still get a press or shreader. However, for personal use the drill gave me that assurance the data was unrecoberible by 99.999% of people. I don't get that warm and fuzzy feeling by drilling an ssd.

So, what is the best way for an individual to destroy an ssd?