Worst Admin Mistake? was --> Re: /usr broken, will the machine reboot ?

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:00 PM, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:
> jacques wrote:
>> by error most of the binaries in /usr are erased (killing rm :-(
>
> Everyone has made that mistake at some point.  I know I have!

Not me!  Though I did chmod -R /usr once.  I noticed it immediately
and cancelled.  Most of the commands were broken, though luckily tar
and scp still worked, so I copied over a backup and untarred it.  This
anecdote is brought up whenever anyone suggests skipping /usr /bin in
backups is a good idea because the data doesn't change and would be
recovered by OS reinstall anyway (yes I've heard that argument).

Which brings me to another fun question.  What's your worst
administration mistake and how did you recover?

-Bryan