Re: Wiping hard drives

On 09/13/2011 08:04 AM, yudi v wrote:
>  I will be wiping partitions on my hard drive before sending it back to
> the manufacturer for replacement.
>
> I usually prefer dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX#  for the unencrypted
> partitions and just over write the first few sectors on the LUKS
> partition to destroy the header file.
>
> I just want to hear some opinions as to what precautions you take before
> parting with hard drives. I would be very interested to hear from SSD
> owners.

If the drive has encrypted data, then you don't need to wipe much. I
would do the following, and call it good:

	dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX bs=1M count=100

This will wipe pseudorandom data to the first 100MB of the drive, which
should wipe out any of the encrypted header information at the beginning
of the partition. Further, notice that I'm using /dev/sdX rather than
/dev/sdX#. Sending it to the drive should wipe the bootloader also, as
well as take out the partition information.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o