Re: detecting which pts from vt

 > I'm regularly wanting to transport some text from a vt to an xterm
 > window

	Is using GNU Screen or tmux an option?  They both enable one to
	have a single “terminal window” to be shared between any number
	of VT's, XTerm's, SSH terminal session's, etc.

	(My personal opinion is that GNU Screen is /essential/ to any
	“terminal” work.)

 > so I wrote a little function :

 > toX () {   echo "$*" >/dev/pts/1 }

	Note that while $* is fine with echo, $@ is likely to be more
	appropriate when used with other commands.  (I saw them often
	used interchangeable, while they're in fact not.)

 > only to find that when xwindows/icewm starts up it doesn't always
 > open windows in the same order.

[…]

 > Is there a way from the CL to detect which pts is the plain xterm
 > window or to cause X to open the windows in a specified order?

	I know of no fully automated way to do that, but:

thisistheterm () { ln -vsf -- "$(tty)" "$HOME"/.theterminal ; }
toterm        () { echo "$*" > "$HOME"/.theterminal ; }

	There, $ thisistheterm is used from within a terminal to mark it
	as the destination for the subsequent $ toterm commands.

--
FSF associate member #7257	Coming soon: Software Freedom Day