Re: Rethinking Personal Information Management - Advice and Ideas needed

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 18:22:45 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:

> On 08/09/11 14:13, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 09:27:32 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
>>
>>> I would like better integration between my mobile phone and my desktop
>>> environment in terms of calendar and contacts. In other words, I would
>>> like to be easily able to see from my desktop what appointments I have
>>> set up, and when I need contact information it should be accessible.
>>> This can be a web interface if appropriate.
>>>
>>> However I am quite confused about what is out there and whether I need
>>> any of it.
>>
>> I see here two different approaches:
>>
>> 1/ Install a calendar and contacts server application that you install
>> on your home based server computer (which is always on, always
>> connected to Internet)
>
> Me server is on 24/7 and is connected to the internet so that would be
> the way to go.  I prefer that to relying on other services to manage my
> data.

I think that's a good (and the most flaxible) decision. If you already
have the bare insfrastructure setup it will take even less to get the
services running.

>>> There seems a whole raft of groupware server packages out there
>>> providing (I think) a web interface to e-mail calendars and contacts.
>>> Is this the way to go?
>>
>> I would avoid using web-based applications, they tend to be more
>> insecure -browser dependant- and their UI can be hard to manage from
>> the screen of your mobile device. But I say this because I'm the kind
>> of person that still prefers using a dedicated MUA to read her e-mails
>> via IMAP and/or POP3, so this is more a matter of your own preferences
>> :-)
>
> So what is out there - e-mail I have sorted, but what would you use as a
> calendar and a contact server?

Today's MUAs allow the use of LDAP servers (for contacts) and iCalendar
(for remote/shared calendars) so that shouldn't be a problem afterall. So
you can use standalone applications for each of the services (i.e.,
openLDAP for sharing contacts, Exim for IMAP and DaViCal for calendars)
or use an integrated suite "to rule them all".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón