Mistype into shell..........

Something that happens occasionally, how do I get out of it without
killing the shell?

Sometimes I type something, slip and ahead of the command I type a
character accidentally like '.

The shell responds with >

I can type anything I want into that shell and it responds with >

How do I get out of that without killing the shell and bringing up a
new one?

Tia
Charlie
--
Registered Linux User:- 329524

The way in which men cling to old institutions after the life has
departed out of them, and out of themselves, reminds me of those
monkeys which cling by their tails -- aye, whose tails contract about
the limbs, even the dead limbs, of the forest, and they hang suspended
beyond the hunter's reach long after they are dead. It is of no use to
argue with such men. They have not an apprehensive intellect, but
merely, as it were a prehensile tail. ..........Henry David Thoreau