Re: xmodmap settings are forgotten/lost during session

Wolfgang Karall <lists+debian-user <at> karall-edv.at> writes:

> Hello,
>
> trying to investigate this further, I set up a Cron job running every
> minute executing the following commands:
>
> DISPLAY=:0.0 xmodmap > /dev/null 2>&1 && \
> DISPLAY=:0.0 xmodmap -pke | grep -q F19 || echo xmodmap gone && \
> DISPLAY=:0.0 xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
>
> I.e. I check whether my mapping for F19 is still and generate some
> output to get an email from Cron every time the settings are gone,
> reloading the settings in the last line. The first is just a check
> whether there's actually a X11 session on the first DISPLAY.
>
> And I get a regular pattern, exactly every 10 minutes my xmodmap
> settings get flushed. Of course I searched for other Cron jobs, but to
> no avail.
>
> What else could reset my keyboard settings every 10 minutes? Or has
> anyone an idea how to debug this further?
>
> Cheers
> Wolfgang

a few months later... but perhaps it'll be archived and useful to someone.

I have the exact same symptoms on my box based on xfce 4, the culprit
is a panel plugin xfc4-xkb-plugin 0.5.4.1-1, which I use to switch between
languages. it resets the layout every 10 minutes.

from the README:
Known limitations and bugs
==========================

Currently if one sets any Xkb options, besides the grp: ones
they will be lost the next time the plugin is started. Even
more - only the first grp: option present in the running
configuration will be stored in the config file and thus only
it will be restored the next time the plugin is started. This
will be resolved in future versions.

the README also mentions an undocumented (well...) config file option
called

I edited the file which on my machine was found at:
~/.config/xfce4/panel/xkb-plugin-??.rc

and changed the 'never_modify_config' option to true. i then 'kill -9'
the xfce4-xkb-plugin process which respawned and reloaded the conf file.

the problem disappeared, I can manage keyboard layouts through
the xfc4 settings/keyboard menu, and still switch languages
using the xkb panel plugin.