Re: sharing one r/w unix filesystem between different machines and users

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 12:21:18AM +0200, Christoph Groth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to share the data saved on an external USB drive between
> different (GNU/Linux) machines, each having different users.  Each user
> should be able to mount the drive and read and write any files as he or
> she pleases.  The users aren't necessary root themselves.
>
> Is there a way to implement such a scheme with a non-windows filesystem
> like ext3?
>
> I understand how Unix file permissions work.  However, for a removable
> drive which might be connected to different systems (with completely
> unrelated uids/gids), assigning fixed uids/gids to files just doesn't
> make any sense.

This is untested ...

Use:
 user = nobody 65534
 group = users 100 or nogroup 65534

Then use BSD type file permission schemr using set GID trick to the
mount point directory as root only when you start using it.

$ sudo chmod 5775 /mount/point/

Let each system mount it automatically.

Does not this work for you?