Re: DO NOT BUY Western Digital "Green" Drives (also present in WD "Elements" external USB cases)

On Sep 4, 2011 9:10 PM, "Scott Ferguson" <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/09/11 03:46, shawn wilson wrote:
>>

>> Discs do fail and I look forward to someone posting the fail rate of
>> different manufacturer discs. However the above statement doesn't seem
>> to be based on logic.
>>

> Detailed data on failure rates is not easy to find - and to be useful it'd have to show test results using drives made throughout the manufacturing time period (some models have been made for many years, externally identical, but internally quite different)
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/enterprise-hard-drive-charts-2010/benchmarks,105.html
> http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/

Thanks for that.

> My 2c...
>
> Horses for courses - buying "consumer" products for "enterprise" is, um, not clever.

Now, I'm still looking at a ceph filesystem cluster (and another for a single system image cluster). Other than the switches (or maybe used infiniband) it'll be the cheapest hardware I can get away with.

I take quite a bit of satisfaction in finding out how far I can push stuff (rice rocket).

> There are less than half a dozen manufacturers of hard drive components - to a certain extent it's like buying washing detergent, so many choices - all from Lever&Kitchen ;-p

As I pointed out a few weeks ago - there are 2 or 3.