Re: How to set up the portable hard drive

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 18:33:25 +0800, lina wrote:

>> (...)
>>
>> Run "mount" and put here the result.

> /dev/sdb1 on /media/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive type ntfs
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177,uhelper=udisks)

It's mounted read-write (rw) with the right user perms (uid,gid) and
dmask,fmask seems to be also good, at least it shoud allow your user
(lina) to manage the disk with no issues.

Weird. What happens if you manually mount the volume with less options?

(as root run)

umount "/media/FreeAgent GoFlex Drive"
mount -t ntfs-3g -o uid=1000,gid=1000 /dev/sdb1 /mnt

It will be mounted under "/mnt" so before running the above commands
ensure there is nothing there. And recheck if pasting operation works as
it should.

>>> how do I reformat it?
>>
>> Using gparted, parted, cfdisk... as usual :-)
>
> I have never used above gparted, parted, cfdisk, I will check now.

They're standard tools for formatting and making partitions in linux.

>>> Thanks for any suggestions, (no need very intelligent set up, just
>>> basic one, so I can use it to backup.)
>>
>> Then use a most suitable filesystem format, such as ext3/ext4/reiserfs/
>> xfs... YMMV.
>
> Which one is the best choice, better can be used both in linux and Mac.

Mac? Hum.. I know very little about that beast but if in doubt and you
care about compatibility and filesystem perms, you can always make
differenet partitions for each system (that is, you can have ntfs in one,
ext3 in other and hfs+ for the mac).

> another question, do you know why my
> System -> Shutdown --> all the characters changed to square, the same
> size hallow square, I just updated the system today.

Yes! I also saw that after updating my wheezy :-)

Dunno why it happened, but it went away after restarting.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón