Re: Installing Nvida DKMS way, what's the difference between /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and /etc/X11/xorg.conf method?

On Friday 02 September 2011 05:50:05 am yudi v wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to understand the difference between the following two methods
>
> *First method *
> this taken from irc dpkg bot
> "aptitude -r install linux-headers-2.6-`uname -r|sed 's,[^-]*-[^-]*-,,'`
> nvidia-kernel-dkms && mkdir /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d ; echo -e 'Section
> "Device"\n\tIdentifier "My GPU"\n\tDriver "nvidia"\nEndSection' >
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf"
>
> this uses the xord.conf.d directory but it also has /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> file. What happens in this case?
>
> *second method* taken form
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Installation-1
>
> first two steps are same as above:
>
> - install linux-headers
> - then nvidia-kernel-dkms
>
> the third and forth step differ:
>
> 3rd step:  Install the NVIDIA X driver and user-space libraries
>
> how come this is missing in the first option?
>

> 4th step: Configure X to use the nvidia
> driver<http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#Configure_X_to_use_the_
>nvidia_driver>
>
> Editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Which method should I use?

Do you know 'sed' ? I do not cut/copy and paste code , I need to understand what I
am doing, so I keep it simple. Not that there is anything wrong with learning
sed :-)

 My guess, the second method is closer to most users experiience level. Plus it
has a howto page.
--
Peace,

Greg