Re: Installing firmware not available in the kernel

On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 14:25 +1000, yudi v wrote:
> I plan to install nvidia's driver and I had a problem before where every time
> after a kernel update (this was under Ubuntu), nvidia driver would break. I
> don't want to be in the same situation again.
>
> Once I setup the system I don't want to spend too much time fixing it. Whats
> the best option under this situation?

Camaleón told you what you need to get your device running, but I just want to
mention that the problem you describe above is due to the fact that the nvidia
kernel module needs to be compiled for every kernel.

That means that you either have to compile it yourself when you install a new
kernel or have this triggered automatically whenever you tinker with the
installed kernels. Luckily the DKMS infrastructure does this for you, which
means that you can just install:

    nvidia-kernel-dkms

and the module will be recompiled whenever needed. Note that this may not work
with backported kernels.
--
Wolodja <babilen@gmail.com>

4096R/CAF14EFC
081C B7CD FF04 2BA9 94EA  36B2 8B7F 7D30 CAF1 4EFC