Re: How do you change file associations in Thunar?

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:54:45 -0500, Jason Hsu wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 10:30:32 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > Where are the file associations in the Thunar file manager, and how
>> > do I change them?  When I click on a file in the Thunar window
>> > manager, I still get AbiWord for *.doc and *.odt files and Gnumeric
>> > for *.xls files.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Take a look into this forum thread (specially message #5) and see if
>> that helps:
>>
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=76836

> I looked at the /usr/share/mime/glob and /usr/share/mime/glob2 files,
> and it says at the top that these files should not be edited because
> they were generated with the update-mime-database command.
>
> So how do I use the update-mime-database command to make the changes I
> need to make?

Hum... true. That scares a bit, I agree :-)

If you want to take the correct path, take a look at GNOME docs for mime
types and how to edit them in the right way:

http://library.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/mimetypes-modifying.html.en

or this one from FreeDesktop:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/AddingMIMETutor

Greetings,