Re: Intrusion Statistics

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 15:13:02 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:

> On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 14:34:42 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> I am curious as to why the United Kingdom should figure so highly. It
>>> is my own location, which is undoubtedly relevant, but I don't really
>>> understand the reason. The Internet is global, so why should such a
>>> high proportion of these unsolicited packets originate from my own
>>> domicile?
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Well, true is that UK has very good connections, infrastructure and
>> cheap prices -I recently rented a hosting service in there- so for
>> someone who needs to control a set of malware bots its definitely a
>> "good" country -I mean, technically speaking- from where to operate (if
>> you're located in Europe).
>>
>> Besides, is the third country per Internet users in Europe:
>>
>> http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats4.htm#europe
>>
>> I'd say that UK, The Netherlands and Germany are neuralgic nodes for
>> ISP inter-connections making them a very attractive target for both
>> legal and not so legal business...
>
> Ah, thanks. You mention "malware bots". Am I to infer then, that it is
> likely than a fair proportion of these do not emanate directly from the
> hacker, but from a bot on an innocent bystander's box which has been
> compromised?
>
> Again I am curious, not concerned.

Exactly. Nowadays most of the malware/intrusion traffic is generated
automatically from (not-so)innocent computers -zombies- which are managed
in the background by the real bad-guys.

There are, of course, directed attacks aimed to break specific targets
but they're less common.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón