Re: Trouble with xdg-open and mimetypes

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 11:38:14 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:22:49 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> walterh@saturn:~/log$ xdg-mime query default text/plain
>> walterh@saturn:~/log$
>>
>> It appears then, that there is no default application for mimetype
>> text/ plain.
>>
>> The xdg-mime man page tells me that to register an application as
>> default for a given mimetype, I should do this:
>>
>> walterh@saturn:~/log$ xdg-mime default gedit.desktop text/plain
>>
>> I do so, and note that a new file has been created:
>>
>> walterh@saturn:~/log$ cat ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list
>> [Default Applications]
>> text/plain=gedit.desktop
>>
>> and that xdg-open backup.log now opens the file in gedit.
>
> (...)
>
> Mmm... take a look at this bug report and I'd say specifically comment
> #10:

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think it's quite the same issue. xdg-
mime query filetype is producing correct output in my case, and xdg-mime
default is writing to defaults.list. Following that, xdg-open is working
properly with files of the relevant type.

My query was why I have to build the defaults.list file manually, instead
of it being done automagically for me.

I don't have gvfs-bin by the way, but I do have gvfs, gvfs-backends and
gvfs-fuse.