Re: Encrypted LVM container spanning drives?

> I've never successfully set this up. Is there a way to encrypt two (or
> more) drives on a machine, then span it with LVM? I end up having to
> create one encrypted container per drive and having separate volume groups
> on each. I suspect I am looking at it wrong and that there is a way to do
> it.
>
> Its been a while since I've tried it, but what happens is that the first
> drive gets decrypted, but the second one doesn't, so the kernel panics
> because it can't find the volume group.

  Well, I've never actually tried it, but it seems to me that
once you have your logical volume set up, there's nothing stopping you
from doing "luksFormat /dev/mapper/vg<x>-<y>" and encrypting the
thing.

  The underlying geometry of the LV shouldn't matter.

  The /etc/crypttab (and by extension the initramfs) should refer
to the device by UUID, so as long as all the LVM stuff is in the
initramfs, the kernel should be able to find it at boot-time.

                                 -- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net