Re: Problems with PAE kernel sort of solved.

On 25/07/11 01:41 PM, Camaleón wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 13:17:55 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

I have been having problems with the new series of PAE kernels. I could
never get them to boot on my machine (see bug #632734) .

What an ugly (hard to debug) bug ;-(

This morning I installed the "new" 3.0.0 kernel, and spent a half hour
changing BIOS settings in an attempt to get it to boot. Nothing worked
until I turned OFF the hyper-threading option. The kernel now boots
fine, but the system does not see it as a dual-core but as  one CPU.
The problem is the system **seems** significantly slower than it was..a
costly trade-off to run the new kernel. I don't see the connection
between the PAE option the kernel now uses (and which my dual core CPU
supports) and hyper-threading. Can anyone enlighten me ??

Mmm... not sure if this will answer your question but as I understand, HT
is the hardware part while SMP is the logical/software part you need to
"double" your microprocessor. You need from both to get the job done so
when you disable HT in BIOS, is the same that if you had installed a non-
SMP kernel.

Well, sort of :-)

Yes, that I guess is why the system now "sees" only one CPU when I have a dual core. But I still fail to understand why turning off hyper-threading allows the kernel (supposedly who only major change is use of the PAE extension) to boot when it wouldn't before. Anyway I guess I am barking up the wrong tree - the kernel developers seem comfortable with their assumption that it's a hardware fault on my machine. Could be, or maybe not.

--
Cheers
Frank