Re: Does IPv6 preclude use of a NAT gateway?

Randy Kramer (rhkramer@gmail.com on 2011-07-09 17:14 -0400):
> I just saw another question about IPv4 and NAT and IPv6, and that
> prompts this question:
>
> When I switch to IPv6, will I lose the ability to keep my computers
> behind a NAT gateway?
Yes, and no. I know of no NAT implementation for IPv6, although I'm
fairly certain that ip6tables supports it. What you're looking for is
probably a stateful firewall, or do you have a hard requirement that
internal addresses are not communicated to the outside?

> It's probably not the best thing, but I depend on the NAT gateway for
> a lot of my security--with IPv6, will I still be able to do that?
The security of NAT is like a door with only one handle: it is only
secure as long as no one on the inside uses the door to get outside.

If you really need address obfuscation, then I would suggest to use
Application-Layer Gateways, such as http proxy software.

Regards,
Arno