Re: How do I start up services in Fvwm without killing Debian-created configuration

On 07/07/2011 06:28 PM, William Hopkins wrote:
On 07/07/11 at 06:11pm, Steven Rosenberg wrote:
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM, William Hopkins<we.hopkins@gmail.com>wrote:

On 07/07/11 at 05:35pm, Steven Rosenberg wrote:
Here's my problem: I generally run GNOME but want to run Fvwm on
occasion.

In Debian, the Fvwm configuration is auto-generated. If I create my
own config file for Fvwm, all the menus generated by Debian go away.

I want to start some services specifically in Fvwm, not in any (or
every) other window manager.

Where (and how) do I start services/daemons in Fvwm without
disabling the Debian-generated Fvwm configuration?

Can you give me an example of what you mean? Usually you use your
.fvwm/config
file and you can optionally source the system-wide stuff from there.

When I create ~.fvwm/config, all the Debian menus go away.

How can I have a config file AND the auto-generated configuration and menus
from Debian ... AND preserve my config change when I log out and in again?

[corrected top-posting]

You include the debian menu in your local menu someplace, usually.
   Try:
   'Read /etc/X11/fvwm/menudefs.hook'

That sounds like a pretty good solution. I will give it a try.