Re: get package name from file name

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 13:39 +0100, kuLa wrote:
> On 07/07/11 13:17, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> > As always there are multiple to do this :)
> >
> >     * dpkg -S /path/to/file
> >     * apt-file search /path/to/file
> >     * dlocate -S /path/to/file
> >
> > I prefer to use either apt-file or dlocate. The former comes in quite handy as
> > it also works for packages that are not installed and it supports regular
> > expressions. If you are looking for an executable, but don't know the full
> > path you can search for:
> >
> >     $ apt-file search -x "bin/foo$"
> >
> > which will find all files named "foo" that are in a bin/ directory somewhere.
> > In particular this will not match "bin/foobar". dlocate on the other hand is a
> > bit faster than "dpkg -S" and has other goodies too ... have a look.

> Yeee, many ways to the same goal but dlocate or apt-file aren't present
> in Debian by default like dpkg is :-)

Sure, but that applies for a lot of software. :) I typically don't have a
problem to install packages I want, but YMMV. It is just that "dpkg -S" is
only useful when you try to figure out where a file on your system came from,
not which package you have to install in order to get a specific one.

I find that I need to figure out the latter much more often, hence my
recommendations. But this is moot as you are probably aware of all this and I
can just stop now.

Slainte!
--
  .''`.     Wolodja Wentland    <babilen@gmail.com>