Re: Debian with HP ProLiant DL120 G7

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 8:33 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 11:25:19 -0400, William Hopkins wrote:
>
>> On 07/07/11 at 05:17pm, Aniruddha wrote:
>>> I wonder if anyone has experience with installing Debian on HP ProLiant
>>> DL120 G7. Does it work out-of-the-box? Or are there special drivers
>>> necessary to get these working? Officially only Red Hat and Suse are
>>> supported although HP does have an Debian page.
>>> http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/debian/index.html
>>
>> IMO, linux is linux. I find it unlikely that RedHat and SuSE have custom
>> drivers built in to their kernels that aren't in the main tree.
>
> It's very common that in these servers, RAID controller drivers -for
> instance- are only available for the supported OSes and specific kernel
> version so careful with that.
>
>> I can't say for sure regarding models, but I've installed linux on
>> hundreds of HP servers so it's likely to work.
>>
>> Your best bet is to give it a go and see!
>
> It looks to me that HP is Debian friendly when it comes to mid-range/high-
> end server models (DL-3xx and upper) but for low-end models things change
> a lot and depending on the user needs it can be a problem.

I didn't see your model on the Debian wiki page, but I bet it works
anyway.  I spoke to one of the HP open source people at a conference
and he more or less confirmed that despite the lack of official
support from HP, Debian runs on their hardware.  For peace of mind, I
would look at the potentially odd stuff like the raid controller and
make sure you can either run it with open drivers or that a blob is
available for it.

http://wiki.debian.org/HP/ProLiant

--
Matt