Re: Wheezy install - grub wont write to MBR with RAID and LVM

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:14 AM, S Scharf <ss11223@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to configure a new computer with a ASUS PSH67-M EVO motherboard
> and a AMD64 Wheezy net install. I have two issues:
>
> 1) using the Debian software RAID, I am trying to configure a RAID-1 on two
> 1.5T disks, with LVM on the RAID partitions.
> With this configuration, I get an error that grub cannot be installed to the
> MBR. (I have tried both a MSDOS partition table, and a
> GPT partition table with a grub-bios partition at the start of the disk.
>
> If I try an non-raid config (the default with using the entire disk),
> everything works.

What does the error say (if anything)?

Can you switch to a console and run grub-install successfully there?

> 2) The Motherboard has Intel Raid support. If I enable the motherboard Raid,
> the installer does not see the raid disk. (for that matter neither does
> my systemrescuecd, but a Ubuntu 11.4 live boot can see it). What do I have
> to do to make this useable?

I have absolutely *no* experience of dmraid but:

- don't you have to create the volumes in the BIOS before booting d-i?

- don't you have to switch to a console and modprobe one or more
dmraid modules(s)?