Re: Squeeze: How to hide certain partitions in Nautilus

On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 08:38:39 +0700, Hoang Le wrote:

(please, avoid using html when posting ;-) )

>> Nautilus displays partitions that are mounted, either manually or by an
>> automatic system (e.g., GNOME's volume manager, udisks, etc..).
>>

> I think Nautilus sidebar displays unmounted partitions as well, because
> I need to mount my Windows partitions ( by clicking on that partition
> and providing root pass word ) when I want to open them.

This behaviour comes from GNOME, I'm afraid... it has to be due to "gvfs"
and udisks who manage this. They may be detecting these devices as
"removable/hotplug" and displays them in nautilus.

>> Run "mount" so we can see where are they mounted. Maybe they're under
>> "/ media" :-?
>>

> When the 2 partitions I mentions are not mounted:

(...)

> When those 2 partitions are mounted ( see the last 2 lines: /dev/sda1
> and /dev/sda2 ). They are mounted under /media #mount

(...)

> /dev/sda1 on /media/System Reserved type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_permissions)
> /dev/sda2 on /media/HP_TOOLS type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush)

Hum...yep, those volumes are being treated by GNOME as removable drives,
dunno why :-?

Maybe you can disable from being displayed by disabling in "gconf":

/apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount

But by disabling this will also affect to the rest of the media devices
which you won't want :-)

There can be another possibility. How does you "/etc/fstab" file look
like? If you manually add this two volumes at "/etc/fstab" they will
be considered as static mount points and there you can choose "noauto"
to avoid automatic mounting at boot (I hope GNOME honors this setting).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón