Re: Experience of Debian in a Macbook pro

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Torstein Krause Johansen <tkj@vizrt.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> On 25 June 2011 23:17, Dan <ganchya@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to buy a laptop. And I love the Macbooks pro. But I will
>> mainly run Debian. Is it worthy to buy a mac to run Debian?
>
> Now that's a good question! I got my first Mac in January because I
> wanted to check out what all the fuzz was about and to see what's down
> to hardware and what's down to Mac OS when praise is given to Macs
> that they are "so wonderful".
>
> Some things that I really like about the Macbook Pro, is the build
> quality, the microphone, the sound & the screen. Looking at your
> holiday photos using a Mac makes the colours look brighter and people
> you talk to on Skype may tell you that you sound better :-)
>
> Now, the question: would I do it again? I am really not sure.
> Considering the price tag, I think the next time I'll pick another
> laptop where I can get better specs for the price of the Macbook Pro.
>
>> Do you have a good experience running Debian in a Mac?
>
> I've written down what I did to get things running here:
> http://tkj.freeshell.org/debian/debian-on-macbook-pro-7.1/ There were
> some tricky corners and one notable difference from the Ubuntu
> recipes, but all in all it was a fairly smooth ride and much easier
> than I thought it would be.
>
> After sorting the different things out, the only real annoyance I've
> still got, is that my xmodmap keep resetting after "some time". I
> don't know why, but every so often (5 minutes? 10 minutes? half an
> hour, I don't know), my re-mapped keyboard (most notably, I want Meta
> instead of the Mac key), jumps back to "normal". Also, I found the
> multi touch driver to be pretty buggy, but perhaps a recent update
> (the last months) have remedied this.
>
> Apart from that, Debian runs great on my Mac.

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Torstein: Thanks a lot for your explanations and your wiki (Installing
debian on a Macbook) It is very clear and useful. Maybe you could ask
the writer of the Debian wiki to put a link to your page. Indeed it is
updated to 7,1
http://wiki.debian.org/MacBook

Lee: Why did yo say that their MacOS feels like having traveled back
in time about 20 years?

I still have to think about it. I love their design and build quality.
But I do not like that their hardware is so closed. I read somewhere
that linux has to boot in BIOS compatibility mode because Apple do not
release everything about their EFI loader.

Thanks,
Dan