Re: Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:54:33 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 11:37 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 10:56 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>> > On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 14:36 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> > Grrr . . . upgrading common did not help but it made it clear it was
>> > from Wheezy.  Downgrading all libgtk to 2.20 wanted to uninstall half
>> > my system.  So, I did an apt-get update/upgrade and it has upgrade
>> > 500+ packages to wheezy :(  We'll see if it works after a reboot but
>> > I really didn't want to run Wheezy.  That's why I pinned it below
>> > Squeeze. Thanks - John

(...)

> Double Argh!! renaming the directory allowed the upgrade to
> libglib2.0-data but I still have the problem, e.g.,
>
> jsullivan@jaseee:~$ xsane
>
> Gtk-ERROR **: GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in
> the same process is not supported
> aborting...
> Aborted
>
> So I'm still left with a broken system after a simple apt-get install
> wireshark.  It is almost certainly the libgtk2.0-bin:i386 (2.20.1-2,
> 2.24.4-3) that was pulled in but I can't seem to back it out without
> uninstalling half my system and rolling everything forward hasn't fixed
> the problem. What next? Thanks - John

Ouch! ;-(

That's why I don't like to play with black magic stuff that goes beyond
my control...

Are you still using any pinning in your "sources.list" file? How does the
file look like by now?

Take it easy, maybe all is not lost, afterall. Let's see is someone here
can give you a hand for restoring the system functionalities.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón