FiiO E7 USB headphone Amplifier -- no sound

I just bought a FiiO E7 USB headphone amplifier. I've read that it
works fine under Linux [1], but have not had any luck getting sound
out of it.

When running alsamixer I see "USB Audio DAC" come up when pressing
the F6 "Select sound card". Selecting that and adjusting the volume
accomplishes nothing...no sound out of the headphones pugged into the
device (whereas the headphone jack on my x200s ThinkPad works fine).
I've also unmuted everything in alsamixer.

Any suggestions regarding how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

John

[1] http://www.amazon.com/review/R3KNBXJW8CUCU6/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003E6K1VK&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R3NJHU8Q7L7D9V/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003E6K1VK&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=