Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 01:52:15PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 24 Jun 2011 at 15:11:13 -0700, Freeman wrote:
>
> > Grub2 didn't like my setup during upgrade.
> >
> > My menu.lst of Grub 0.97 included numerous different rc levels to select
> > from.  Just a way of selecting between different interfaces while booting.
> >
> > So the following blocks in the automagic section of menu.lst resulted in a 4
> > item menu for each kernel, one item booting into GDM, the next starting xinit
> > with Openbox--booting from rc5.d, rc4.d rc3.d and rc2.d respectively.
>
> [Snip menu.lst fragment]
>
> > When grub2 setup hit that, it gave me some garbled menu item that failed,
> > followed by its basic boot items for console and maintenance.
>
> The Release Notes for Squeeze offer advice on keeping GRUB Legacy and
> chainloading GRUB 2. There is also a mention of possibly having to
> adjust complex configurations to fit GRUB 2. You were in that category
> so were forewarned some extra work was in prospect. It would have been
> nice to have had a seamless conversion of menu.lst to grub.cfg but
> sometimes it cannot be done.

I figured it was like that.

> > So now I have an /etc/grub.d/09_custom that renders a menu above Grub2's
> > default menu.  I manually edit it for kernel upgrades with "find and
> > replace" of kernel numbers.  I don't like having a fractured, two part menu
> > that doesn't completely upgrade automagically.  But it works:
>
> You do not have to have it.
>
> You are using 09_custom for its intended purpose; previously you edited
> menu.lst. To boot with the latest kernel:
>
> >  	linux	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.37-1-amd64
>
> 	linux	/vmlinuz
>
> >  	initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.37-1-amd64
>
> 	initrd	/initrd.img
>
> To tidy up the menu a non-executable 10_linux may be something to
> consider.

But there are two kernels.  I have installed the backports kernel, so my
stable kernel is my backup kernel.  update-grub under Grub 0.97 would update
menu.lst with 4 run level menu items for each kernel during a kernel
upgrade.

I got close in 10_linux.  But when I last broke it, things didn't look like
I'd have a great menu.  So I figured I had better uses of time.

It is not a big issue to copy the old and new kernel version numbers to a
find and replace.  Actually, I'll put something in my functions file while I
am thinking of it.

. . .

Did it. Took about twice as long to think up and get working as the next 3-5
years of editing manually (45 minutes), but good practice for a novice and
fun.  Still miss the automagic options on run levels. :)

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody