Re: Accented chars in filenames issue

On 25/06/11 15:53, William Hopkins wrote:
> On 06/25/11 at 03:20pm, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 25/06/11 10:16, lee wrote:
>>> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:

<snipped>

>>> To give a silly example, a file named "-rf *" or "rm -rf *"
>>
>> I defy you to create a file with those name ;-p
>> NOTE: I've tried. No point in it just being an untested opinion.
>
> Why wouldn't you be able to? None of those are forbidden characters for filenames.
>
> ,----------------------------
> |liam@slimer:~/safe$ touch ./-rf\ *
> |liam@slimer:~/safe$ ls
> |-rf *
> `---------------------------

Good point! Clearly I did not spend enough time trying.
I obviously hadn't considered the lengths some people will go to. :-)

I'd only tried the following:-
$ touch -rf *
touch: failed to get attributes of `f': No such file or directory
$ touch "-rf *"
touch: failed to get attributes of `f *': No such file or directory

After reading your post I tried using Dolphin to create a directory
called "-rf *" (without ""). It worked!

I shall now write a letter to my MP demanding laws are passed against
bad weather. :-D

Cheers

--
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullsh#t. We're a
virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.