Re: No more GRUB legacy at install time since wheezy?

On 25/06/11 06:51, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 24 Jun 2011 at 21:35:16 +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>> Having switched to grub2 recently, I do that as well.  But I suspect
>> most people will be content with the simpler configuration options
>> offered by editing /etc/default/grub and running update-grub.
>
> That's me! Although I do have a little change made to debian_theme.
>
> Why is it some people dislike GRUB2? My experience isn't great but it
> boots Debian kernels reliably on my machines. Nothing complicated I
> admit, and I'm not overfussed about configuring it to display fancy
> menus. What basic changes to grub.cfg cannot be made from the files in
> /etc?
>
> As an aside: Is having 'DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE' and making the file
> read-only really an invitation to do the opposite?

Indeed! - not only is /etc/default/grub the appropriate place to make
changes - it's simpler, and it shows respect for the developers taking
the time to document it as being the place to make (most) changes.

There's even a gui for changing from grub-legacy and grub2
(grub-choose-default)(Squeeze).

For the splash screens in grub2 try - gfxboot.

For gnome there is a package called startupmanager - which looks
interesting (though I don't run gnome).

For pure time-wasting distractions try grub-invaders, as a bonus it
loads very fast!

I agree that there have been some problems with grub2 during upgrades -
but for me it's worth it. Grub(legacy) was better than lilo, and grub2
is better than grub-legacy. I look forward to trying pxe from grub2 and
grub-coreboot on an old supported mb.

Cheers

--
I'm tired of this back-slapping "Isn't humanity neat?" bullsh#t. We're a
virus with shoes, okay? That's all we are.