Re: What controls X?

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:50:13 -0400, Tom H wrote:

>>> $@ is a bash positional parameter not an X-specific variable.
>>
>> Mmm, good but, what exactly holds?
>
> It holds vt7.

Just "vt7"?

> As I said later in my earlier reply, I gave up on finding out its
> source...

But you said it wasn't a specific X variable. If it's the VT number, sure
it is ;-)

>>> I tried to look for its source some time ago and gave up quickly. I'm
>>> not running GNOME so this is from memory: the parent process of "exec
>>> /usr/bin/X ..." calls a variable of the form "/org/gnome/<something>".
>>> I thought that it might be a gconf key that might hold the VT but I
>>> didn't find it.
>>
>> I've made some findings. By reading this bug report:

(...)

> "FirstVT" used to be an upstream variable but its was dropped in the
> upgrade from 2.20 to 2.24 and the Debian maintainer seems to be applying
> a patch in order to perpetuate it in Debian.

There must a reason for doing that and regardless of its convenience, it
works fine.

> Anyway, I don't think that this a solution to the OP's problem, unless
> I'm misremembering it. No matter what is set as FirstVT, you can end up
> at a higher number after logging out and logging back in because
> console-kit-daemon would've kept that VT allocated.

I was not looking for a solution to the OP's problem, I've already said
that VT is automatically assigned, defaulting to VT7 -as inittab seems to
say-, and I guess that if it is taken it jumps to the next available. So
the problem here is knowing why and when it jumps.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón