Re: Features Missing in Debian's Package Management System

Le Wednesday 15 June 2011 19:32:13 Hans-J. Ullrich, vous avez écrit :
> Additional to this, my suggestion:

My suggestions : around aptitude.

> 1. An option, to read the changelog BEFORE a package is installed or
> upgraded.

aptitude changelog (you need deb-src sources in /etc/apt/source.list).
or
in aptitude ncurces : type 'C' when you have selected a package.

> 2. An option, to see, which files will be installed BEFORE the first
> installation or at renewing (although, I think, apt-file might be able to
> handle this somehow, not sure)

You're right, 'apt-file list package'. Remember that you have to maintain the
apt-file index with apt-file update, like apt-get/aptitude. Sometimes, you need
to be root to see some files.

> 3. And last but not least: An option, to blacklisting broken packages!
> (very important)

Two options :
aptitude hold package
or '=' in ncurse interface
That will stop further upgrades. Definitivelly.

Better :
aptitude forbid-version package=1.2.3.broken-4
or 'F' when you are on a specific version of the package (select a package,
push enter, go down to the bottom of the package information, you have the
several versions available, choose one and type 'F' to forbid that version.
Doing so, you will be able to get further updates without worrying to forget
what package are on hold.

[...]