Re: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address x in squeeze

On 05/30/11 at 02:09am, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> I have a NexStar multi interface to USB adapter which I wanted to use to
> connect my old IDE HDD to wipe it out before giving it away. While trying
> to use it I hit the problem in subject line. That is:"Reset high speed
> USB
> device using ehci_hcd and address x" in loop message. (Looks like its an
> old bug while googling.)

Did you try the fix google returns? `echo 64 > /sys/block/{device}/device/max_sectors`
Is your device USB-powered or does it have a power supply?

> I've tried to unload ehci_hcd and load uhci_hcd module instead in attempt
> to resolve the problem. Unfortunatelly this not only caused me loosing my
> mouse but appeared to be useless, since the unloaded ehci_hcd module was
> fired by OS again automatically, and here we go - same vicious circle.

You should not remove ehci_hcd as it is required for USB 2.0 operation. Even if you truly knew what you were doing (and what chipset you have as far as OHCI vs UHCI is concerned), you would need to blacklist the ehci driver, as it is registered for your hardware and the kernel will always attempt to insert it.

> So, I gave up on it, and then, just out of curiosity, connected the damn
> thing to my laptop with Ubuntu Lucid. To my huge surprise Lucid did not
> have any problem with it, and right now I'm running shred on the device
> writing it with 0's.
>
> How do they manage it, and why it is (still ?) a problem on Debian?

What is fixed in one distribution may be broken in another, and vice versa. But over time they will ultimately converge.
If you can find the bugfix in Ubuntu it will help either fix it in Debian or discover why it hasn't yet applied to stable.

--
Liam