Re: Building Chromium from source on Debian 6.0.1 Stable

On 05/27/2011 04:15 AM, Mark Grieveson wrote:
>> Following my previous question, someone recommended I build Chromium
>> from source. Is that possible to do on Stable? I tried to do it from
>> apt-get, but there were still dependency issues. Am I doing it wrong?
>> Should I be doing it another way?
>>
>> If I remember correctly, I tried...
>>
>> sudo apt-get source chromium-browser
>> sudo apt-get build-dep chromium-browser
>>
>> And before I could compile it using apt-get, it gave me a bunch of
>> dependency issues. If you need me to I can reproduce this to show you
>> all.
>>
>> Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> I assume you wish to get the latest one, and are thus trying to port
> from the unstable source to your stable system.  There are two ways
> that the Debian manual describes.  One is the older obsolete way, and
> the other is the newer way.  Both work.  I'm more used to the older
> way, but I'll describe both.
>
> First, make sure you have the source repository listed and updated in
> your sources.list:
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>
> The older way:
>
> # apt-get build-dep chromium-browser
> $ apt-get -b source chromium-browser
>
> note:  if the above step doesn't build the debian files, and lists
> other dependencies (IE, some_package version is required, but you
> only have a lower version available) then you may be able to
> remedy it by obtaining and building that package by source with
> the above listed procedure.  If so, it means that you would not have
> built the package yet, but you should have downloaded the source
> files.  Once you've obtained, built, and installed all the
> dependencies, then you can create the package with the following:
>
> $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -b
>
> So, you should have the chromium-browser packages (debs).  You can
> install them with:
>
> # dpkg -i file.deb
>
> the name of the various debs that will be created are listed at
> http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/chromium-browser
>
> The newer method is as follows:
>
> Install required packages for the compilation and download the source
> package as the following.
> # apt-get update
> # apt-get dist-upgrade
> # apt-get install fakeroot devscripts build-essential
> # apt-get build-dep foo
> $ apt-get source foo
> $ cd foo*
> Adjust installed packages if needed.
> Execute the following.
> $ dch -i
> Bump package version, e.g. one appended with "+bp1" in
> "debian/changelog" Build packages and install them to the system as the
> following.
> $ debuild
> $ cd ..
> # debi foo*.changes
>
> Note:  "foo" is a generic name for the package -- in your case it's
> chromium-browser

> [...]

Is it ok that there are all of these dependencies being changed? And
more importantly, is it a problem that some of the packages are being
removed? This is what I have done.

rypervenche@debian:~$ sudo apt-get -t sid build-dep chromium-browser
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libglade2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libnautilus-extension-dev libpango1.0-dev
seahorse-plugins
  binutils-gold bison cdbs flex gcc-4.6-base gdb gdbserver
gnome-themes-standard gperf gyp hardening-wrapper libbz2-dev
libcairo-gobject2 libcairo-script-interpreter2
  libcap2-bin libdbus-glib-1-dev libevent-core-1.4-2 libevent-dev
libevent-extra-1.4-2 libgck0 libgconf2-dev libgcr-3-0 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
libgirepository-1.0-1
  libglew1.5 libglew1.5-dev libglewmx1.5-dev libglib2.0-bin
libgnome-keyring-dev libgnutlsxx26 libgtk-3-0 libgtk-3-bin
libgtk-3-common libhunspell-dev libicu-dev
  libidl-dev libnspr4-dev libnss3-dev liborbit2-dev libpam0g-dev
libprotobuf-dev libprotobuf-lite7 libprotobuf7 libprotoc7 libspeex-dev
libsqlite3-dev libv8-3.1.8.10
  libv8-dev libxcb-shm0-dev libxslt1-dev libxss-dev libxtst-dev lzma
lzma-dev orbit2 patchutils protobuf-compiler ttf-kochi-gothic
ttf-kochi-mincho
  ttf-sazanami-mincho wdiff x11proto-record-dev x11proto-scrnsaver-dev xvfb
  binutils gnome gnome-core gnome-desktop-environment gnome-keyring
gtk2-engines-pixbuf libcairo2 libcairo2-dev libdbus-glib-1-2
libgail-common libgail18 libgcrypt11
  libgcrypt11-dev libglewmx1.5 libglib2.0-0 libglib2.0-dev
libgnome-keyring0 libgnutls-dev libgnutls26 libgpg-error-dev
libgpg-error0 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin
  libhunspell-1.2-0 libicu44 libnautilus-extension1 libnspr4-0d
libnss3-1d libpam0g libpango1.0-0 libpcre3 libpixman-1-0 libpixman-1-dev
librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common
  libsqlite3-0 libstdc++6 libwmf0.2-7 libxcb-shm0 libxfont1 libxslt1.1
libxss1 libxtst6 nvidia-kernel-source xserver-common
45 upgraded, 64 newly installed, 5 to remove and 1093 not upgraded.
Need to get 99.6 MB of archives.
After this operation, 139 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Please let me know if it is ok and/or wise to continue with this. Also,
if I wish to revert this decision later, is there a way change
everything back to the way it was? (aside from manually writing this
list down and replacing all of the programs to the way they originally were)