Re: ia64 and i386

On Tue, 24 May 2011 17:26:36 +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

(...)

Actually I never understood why people would want to install i386 when
amd64 is possible. Since from amd64 you can still run x86 code ... but
not the other way around. Is there a drawback when installing an amd64
kernel ?
Ha! :-)

There are no Thunderbird binaries for the released version packaged for
64 bits OSes and some people (e.g., me) do not like messing/bloating
their systems with 32-bits compat libraries.

And Thunderbird is the first package it came up to my mind without
struggling my brain, there still has to be many others...

Greetings,

Adobe flashplayer comes to mind as well. While there is a 64 bit player, I've found that the 32bit one plays without any hiccups that the 64bit one seems to have (No need to have flash is evil debates here. Some of us wants to watch youtube and other flash sites).

Mihira.