Re: Serial Console Access

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 12:17:29 -0400, Chris Brennan wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> OTOH, /etc/inittab can be restarted/reloaded by issuing "telinit q", or
>> at least that was what I used on another distributions, in Debian I'm
>> not sure if remains the same (reviewing the manual...) hum, yep, it's
>> the same :-)
>>

> This saves me from having to repeatedly reboot the box .... thanks :D
>
> For shiggles, I changed 115200 back to 9600 and used telinit q :D, same
> thing, black screen, no login prompt

What happens if you press any key although there is no prompt?

Sonofa! I never thought to press enter ... when I did, it prompted for a password, so I just hit enter again and was immediately prompted for a user to login with.

Can you test the serial connection from a client other than windows
+putty? Just to start discarding culprits...

No need now :D see above. Thanks for the obvious tip lol.

How ironic ... the power blinked and that machine rebooted, when it came back up, I saw it boot via the serial console, but it would freeze during the boot process w/

I then manually rebooted the box a few times and it always said the same thing, a few times though, it would print a few characters of garbage and then hang, no physical console access or serial access. The only way I got the machine to come back up was to unplug the serial cable from that box and it came back up normal ... now this isn't normal or wanted behavior and it needs to be adjusted.

BTW, I bumped it back up to 115200 (as that is the max speed of that card and the card in my windows machine, when I do connect via serial, it does work and quite well. I also updated my inittab from TO to use co, not sure if that made a difference but based on what I read, as long as it was unique, it didn't matter, co seemed more logical anyway. Now question, does Debian treat co special? Would there be issues or should I choose another two-letter abriviation such as se/SE/sc/SC for serial console? Only reason I point it out is because of my trouble getting console w/ keyboard and not serial....