Re: Gnome start menu on ubuntu

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 03:17 -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
> I installed ubuntu 11.04 on an HP netbook. Everything works great (even the
> bt43 WiFi wasn't that bad) except the start (ubuntu) menu (and I'm not crazy
> about the quick launch bar or it being on the left). How do I get a "normal"
> start menu?

One way to solve this issue is to install Debian [0] and another would be to
ask on an Ubuntu mailing list. [1] I would recommend the former, but you might
prefer the latter.

That being said: I would be surprised if your login manager (e.g. gdm3)
wouldn't allow you to choose a different session. You are looking for the
Gnome session, not the unity one.

[0] http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/