Re: SWF (Adobe Flash) support

On 05/18/2011 07:06 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2011 09:59:44 +0200, Stanisław Findeisen wrote:

Is it possible to play Adobe Flash files from, for example, YouTube.com
without non-free software?

(...)

Sadly nope.

On my Debian testing systems I'm actually able to play all YouTube content using chromium-browser, the Gnash plug-in, and the IcedTea NPR Web Browser plug-in. I've never installed anything from non-free or contrib on these systems. (I don't even use non-free firmware.)

Many other sites, however, make it difficult-to-impossible to see Flash video content without the proprietary Adobe player. I just won't use those site, and I try to let the people who run them know that.

However I am unable to play YouTube.com videos in Iceweasel 3.0.6. I
even tried downloading one to the filesystem and running gnash on it,
but it only displays a black rectangle. :-(

What is the Debian recommended way, if any, to play SWF files?

To avoid any present and future problem with flash based sites, you have
to install the Adobe flash plugin... we are stuck with it ;-(

(note: it depends on the SWF file to play, some do work with alternative
players but some don't)

I know what you're saying, and I would agree with it if any of the content offered on the Internet was truly important to me.

I'm a curmudgeon. I figured I lived without streaming content for 60 years before the Internet became available to the masses. I can live the rest of my life without it if the purveyors are so tied into their business models that they exclude the users of free software from viewing their content. I'm just tired of the whole attitude by business that they own the customers and can make them jump through hoops.

Who knows? Since Adobe has stated that new versions of the Flash server are going to automatically serve html5 when the client lacks the Flash reader, perhaps users of free software will benefit. The html5 content at YouTube works very well with chromium-browser. Better than the Flash content, as a matter of fact.

best regards,
Gilbert