Re: Correct usage of "-t" in shutdown?

On 05/16/2011 09:45 PM, Alex Lardner wrote:
Hello,
I am stumped over how to use -t during shutdown. I tried:

shutdown -t 60 System going down in one minute!

and

shutdown -t 60 now System going down in one minute!

but neither worked as expected. Help me, please!
Thanks,
Alex

The -t option is to set the "delay between warning and kill signal" shutdown time (no -t) is what you want, where time is a [hh:]mm time value.
From the man page for shutdown:
"The time argument can have different formats. First, it can be an absolute time in the format hh:mm, in which hh is the hour (1 or 2 digits) and mm is the minute of the hour (in two digits). Second, it can be in the format +m, in which m is the number of minutes to wait The word now is an alias for +0.

--
Michael Checca