Re: Boot problem after crashed update

12/05/2011 14:59, Simon Hoerder wrote:
> Jochen Schulz wrote:
> [...]
>> Since you still have a bootable operating system, you may try the hint
>> at <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=626450#36>.
>
> After taking a second look at Sven's link after lunch I discovered
> similar hints there as well. These hints helped to some degree - now the
> boot works again but when the xserver starts something breaks (probably
> related to the propietary NVidia driver).
>
>>> C) How can I prevent getting unstable packages into my system in the
>>>    future?
>>
>> Don't add sid to your sources.list. :) And if you do: use pinning or set
>> your default distribution in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90local (man apt.conf,
>> Default-Release).
>>
>> J.
>
> That's good to know, thanks. :-)
>
> Is there an easy way to remove all unstable packages? Otherwise I don't
> worry too much about the xserver issue and reinstall.
>
> Many thanks for the help.

If you want to ix the installed system, after recreating the links
/lib64 --> /lib and /usr/lib64 --> /usr/lib (from live-cd or in
initramfs), reboot in single mode and run:

dpkg --configure -a

because your libc6 and associated packages are stuck halfway in their
installation process. Then reboot and you should be fine.

Finally update, fixed packages are available.

If you don't have too many packages from unstable, you can try
downgrading some, I would use aptitude for that. Then use pinning to
cherry pick what you want.