Re: Tracing Filesystem Accesses

On 05/12/2011 12:19 PM, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
Hello,

I added an SSD in my system and moved the root filesystem to the SSD (which
includes now also most of /home in my system). I spin down the regular hard
disks and the system is a lot more quiet than before :-)

Sometimes though something is accessing data on the disk drives, which I do
not understand.

Is there a way to trace all accesses to a directory tree (e.g. /mnt/disk) ?
to be honest I've never used it , but manual page looks promising

inotify - inotify-tools

  inotifywatch -v -e access -e modify -t 60 -r /proc
Is there another way to find out which data are accessed and if possible by
which process?

Thanks,
Rainer

may be one of this tools :