Re: Speakers Do Not Mute with Headphones

On 05/07/2011 12:14 PM, Noah Duffy wrote:
I just finished loading Debian 6.0 on my brand new Lenovo SL410.  I
love this computer and so far everything seems to have worked out of
the box, however I am having one little issue:  When I plug headphone
into the computer, the main speakers do not mute.

I had a similar issue with the Lenovo G555 (with Conexant 5069 sound chip), and while modifying /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf worked for me in Fedora 13 with 2.6.34, it only did so with an updated ALSA drivers package that provided version 1.0.23 of the drivers instead of the 1.0.21 in the kernel. I haven't been able to find this package in .deb -- If I understand this correctly, ALSA drivers are generally part of the kernel and are not available in a separate package (even though I was able to get such a package from a third-party repo for Fedora).

Yep, even though I was running ALSA 1.0.23 at the time, it was with version 1.0.21 of the drivers in the kernel (again, if my understanding of the situation is correct).

To see which version of the ALSA drivers my system was using, I ran:

$ cat /proc/asound/version

Output was

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.

It needs to be:

Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.

I "solved" this problem by upgrading to from the stock Squeeze 2.6.32 kernel to 2.6.37 (I'm using a Liquorix kernel, I'm pretty sure 2.6.38 in squeeze-backports will do this as well).

Now I don't have to do anything to make sound work properly: Plugging in headphones mutes the speakers with no additional configuration necessary.

So a newer kernel very well may solve this issue for you.