Re: Customising Debian install

I dont see why Gnome as a whole depends on Empathy.

On a separate note, the task selection in the installer governs which packages are installed by default.

If I wanted to make a custom derived distro presumably the first point of call (after creating my own repository and copying all the stable packages to it) would be modifying the task selector to alter what is installed by default?

But Im a bit perplexed by why Gnome as a whole is dependent on what I see as simply user apps on top of Gnome which Gnome should be able to function perfectly well without.

To me the package dependencies here are screwed? Removing an IM client or a web browser shouldnt cause the whole desktop environment to be removed too.