Re: Finding Library Dependencies - MxEasy Security Camera Software

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 07:35:56AM -0700, CACook@quantum-sci.com wrote:

> I am trying to install Mobotix's MxEasy security camera software, but it's refusing for dependency:

[cut]

> I know there is a way to check an app to find out what libs it's calling for, but I can't remember how.
>
> Can anyone advise?

Probably your package is built for an older version of Debian. Generally
speaking, when installing a third-party .deb, I tend to do "dpkg -i
foo.deb" followed by "apt-get -f install". This latter command runs the
package resolver and should pull in all the dependencies automatically.
Sometimes, though, you may find that apt-get's suggestion is to try to
remove the package you've just installed. That would imply that the
package isn't compatible with your debian and you need to either look at
rebuilding it or maybe do some  equivs magic.