Re: Mystery on my laptop: KDE + nvidia + X + wheezy/sid

Thanks Andrew. I wasn't sure if the nepomuk/akonadi stuff was actually a show-stopper, since you see that throughout the logs.

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Andrew Reid <reidac@bellatlantic.net> wrote:
> Hi,

[ Lots of good info elided...]

> Any ideas where the problem might lie?

 I have a long shot -- I've had a bit of trouble with the nepomuk
services on KDE4, although not NVidia-related (as far as I know),
and not on experimental, as I generally stick with "squeeze".

 Anyways, your traceback has nepomuk stuff in it, so as a first
cut, I suggest disabling all that stuff.  In the KDE gui, you can
do this via "System Settings" -> "Advanced" -> "Service Manager",
and disable the "Nepomuk Search Module".

 This may fail if the "System Settings" is one of the KDE apps
that blows up, of course.  In that case, maybe you can do
something more blunt-instrument-like, like renaming the
nepomuk executable or something.

System settings were one of the apps that was blowing up. The interesting thing was that calling a kde app would even drop me out of a Gnome session. I wouldn't think that calling a kde app would invoke nepomuk if it were not in a KDE session...

Having said that, I could disable the module in squeeze before upgrading to wheezy or sid...If I decide to try that again. (I'd really like to, just because apps in squeeze will start to get long in the tooth...)

 Otherwise, there's the usual "is it plugged in" stuff:

 I've sometimes had issues when Debian-packaged OpenGL updates
clobber the NVidia-provided OpenGL library files, but have
always been able to clear them by re-running the NVidia
installer.  Kernel updates can do this too, not sure why.
(Your symtpoms don't really match this profile, but it's easy
to try...)

 Also, the K desktop is vast and contains multitudes.  If it's
convenient, maybe create a fresh, blank account on the problem
system, log into it in KDE, and let the config wizards do their
thing, and see if the problem still manifests -- if it doesn't,
then you've isolated the problem to one account's desktop
settings.  It's possible the 4.4 to 4.6 migration isn't as
clean as it could be, and something's getting confused.

They said that the upgrade was the smoothest yet. It seemed to work fine to me. It was identical to the one on the workstation, where kde 4.6.2 works. Also, when I rebuilt the laptop from scratch and upgraded to sid but kept version 4.4.5, I was still seeing the same problem.

Thanks,
--b