Re: What is this Apple Bootstrap thing of which the installer speaks?

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 12:41:24PM -0400, annathemermaid@hush.com wrote:

> On Tue, 03 May 2011 09:50:55 -0400 Roger Leigh
> <rleigh@codelibre.net> wrote:
> >On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 09:00:50AM -0400, annathemermaid@hush.com
> >wrote:
> >> So, I was trying to install Debian on this old iBook, and
> >> apparently yaboot wants an Apple Bootstrap partition of a
> >> particular size. I don't see a way to create such a thing in the
> >> partitioner, and I would think it is something Mac OS X ought to
> >> have created? Unfortunately, the Mac OS X partitioner really
> >isn't
> >> that powerful.
> >
> >It's not, unfortunately.  You'll need to use mac-fdisk to
> >partition
> >the disk correctly.  This will let you create an Apple_Bootstrap
> >partition of the correct size.  For some reason the Apple disk
> >utility deliberately hides these "special" partitions!
> Thanks! It works! Used Gentoo documentation:
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2004.3/handbook-
> ppc.xml?part=1&chap=4&style=printable#doc_chap3
>
> Now that Debian is up and running, is there documentation somewhere
> explaining how to make yaboot offer options to boot OpenBSD and/or
> NetBSD?

It should be possible, but AFAIK it's currently broken:

Looks like it's simple to fix, but there wasn't anyone who could
test it properly.

> Also, is there any way to make Debian read OpenBSD's disklabel?
> Debian seem to just see one big OpenBSD partition and none of the
> subpartitions. Does that mean any partitions I want to share, e.g.
> swap, have to be partitioned with something other than OpenBSD?

Linux should be perfectly capable of reading BSD disklabels and
see all the slices.  However, support needs compiling in to the
kernel for that partition format (CONFIG_BSD_DISKLABEL).  Should
be enabled by default for Debian kernels I think.  If not, you
might need to rebuild with it enabled, or possibly just modprobe
it if it can be built as a module (or add to /etc/modules).

> Oh, and is there anyway to escape X11 into a nice console?

Ctrl-Alt-Fn to switch to ttyn.

Regards,
Roger

--