Re: Knoppix and debian

On Tue, 3 May 2011 15:29:20 +0200
"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just a simple question: I discovered the hardware recognition on the
> KNOPPIX- DVD is very good.
>
> Is this a personal development by Klaus Knopper? Is it also used by
> debian? And if not, why not?

I would assume there is some good reason involving licences. But Knoppix
is available to anyone, and I would expect other Debian users will do
what I do, and run Knoppix (and Ubuntu) on problematic hardware, to see
what is necessary for it to work with standard Debian.

Both distributions are very useful troubleshooting tools, because they
are so close to Debian (it's not much help to know that a bit of
'difficult' hardware works with Windows), and I have kept one of the
last CD versions of Knoppix for use on older machines which do not have
a DVD drive. While it isn't explicitly a 'rescue' distribution, it does
have most, if not all, of the necessary tools.

Knoppix can be installed to a hard drive, but that is not recommended,
and I can confirm it is unmaintainable. You throw it away and install
the next version. Some people claim this is also necessary with Ubuntu.

--
Joe