Re: Why had emacs 23 become so ugly?

On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 02:21:25AM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I'm still running squeeze.  For some reason, when I run emacs now, it
> dieplays all my C and C++ files with a variable-width font, in which the
> indentations I've been using have become microscopic.  What's more,
> carefully counted-out ASCII tables and diagrams have become unreadable.
>
> Why is this?  Why has this nonsense been inflicted on programmers?  What
> can I do about it?  Why should it even be necessary to do anything,
> considering that emacs is presumably maintained by programmers?

This is possibly due to the default font setting. You can choose a
monospace font and have all the goodness you wished for. For instance,
the following works for me in my .emacs, but YMMV.

(setq running-emacs-23 (> emacs-major-version 22))
(if running-emacs-23
    (progn (set-default-font "Monospace-7")))

Kumar
--
And Bruce is effectively building BruceIX
		-- Alan Cox