Re: When to reboot after aptitude safe-upgrade?

On Fri, 2011-04-29 at 22:21 -0400, Dan wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to know when I have to reboot my server after doing
> safe-upgrade with aptitude. I googled it and I didn't find a clear
> answer. In my desktop there is a package called update-notifier-common
> which has some scripts that write a file called
> /var/run/reboot-required when a reboot is required.
>
> I do not have that package in my server so that I can not check that
> file to know if I have to reboot the system. I do not want to install
> that package because I prefer to keep the server as clean as possible.
> In the server there is no X-server, gnome, etc...
>
> Then, when do I have to reboot? Only when I update the kernel?

The other reason might be updated libraries that are still in use by
running applications.

checkrestart from the debian-goodies is handy for checking that - it
will give you a list of what still has old libraries open, and
suggestions (not always the best ones) as to how to re-open them. If
there are lots, or you don't know how to (or can't) restart them, then
yes it might be easier to reboot.

Richard